RoHS is an acronym for Restriction of Hazardous Substances. RoHS, also known as Directive 2002/95/E, was developed by the European Union. It was established to limit the use of some hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. From July 1, 2006, all goods sold in the European Union must comply with RoHS rules.
The RoHS directive establishes guidelines for the use of hazardous chemicals in electrical and electronic device manufacture. It provides manufacturers and suppliers with recommendations on how to reuse and recycle electrical and electronic waste. The RoHS standard specifies maximum limits for the following hazardous compounds:
- Lead (Pb): < 1000 ppm
- Mercury (Hg): < 100 ppm
- Cadmium (Cd): < 100 ppm
- Hexavalent Chromium: (Cr VI) < 1000 ppm
- Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB): < 1000 ppm
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE): < 1000 ppm
- Bis(2-Ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP): < 1000 ppm
- Benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP): < 1000 ppm
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP): < 1000 ppm
- Diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP): < 1000 ppm
Who Can Apply for RoHS Certification?
Exporting, producing, and importing commodities into RoHS-compliant locations, such as European and Asian nations (including China, Japan, and South Korea), as well as North American counterparts, requires RoHS certification. For organizations that import RoHS compliant or RoHS parallel items, RoHS certification is critical. RoHS laws apply to all product suppliers, including original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), original design manufacturers (ODMs), and subcontractors.
The products that may require RoHS certification include the following:
- Large & small household appliances
- IT and telecommunications equipment
- Consumer equipment
- Lighting equipment
- Toys, leisure, and sports equipment
- Medical devices
Purpose of RoHS Certification
RoHS certification indicates that a manufacturer or supplier has been approved by an independent third party to produce RoHS-compliant products. The RoHS standard specifies exact criteria for product manufacturing, packaging, labeling, and storage to prevent contamination from hazardous substances. RoHS certification ensures that these criteria are successfully applied.
Benefits of RoHS Certification for Businesses
For your products, RoHS certification might be a useful marketing tool. RoHS-certified products are extremely popular among environmentally conscious consumers who are willing to pay a premium for environmental protection. RoHS certification is becoming more significant for manufacturers, distributors, resellers, and retailers that want to differentiate themselves from the competition. The following are some of the advantages of RoHS certification:
- Improves employees safety and hygiene during the manufacturing phase
- Reduces environmental impacts
- Easy access to EU markets and other international markets
- Products certified under RoHS are safer for consumers
- Meets applicable statutory and regulatory requirements
- Global recognition to your business
RoHS Certification Procedure through IAS
The following is the procedure for obtaining RoHS Certification through IAS:
- Fill out the RoHS certification application form completely, including all pertinent information regarding the product for which you want RoHS certification.
- Following your approval, you will be sent a ROHS certification quote.
- IAS will offer you a project management plan for your RoHS certification when you approve the quotation (including test plans and test specifications). However, based on your needs, the management strategy may alter somewhat.
- The tests are performed in a qualified laboratory or under IAS supervision.
- All data will be put into a RoHS certification report, together with the supporting certificate and samples of non-RoHS compliant material, after testing is completed. You will also receive a copy of the test findings as a backup or for future reference.
- Unless the product and/or its components are difficult to test, RoHS certification takes roughly 15-20 working days.
For more information on RoHS Certification, please contact us at [email protected]